The name “Wartburg” is derived from the castle in the southeastern German town of Eisenach. In 1521, Martin Luther found, with help from the elector Frederick the Wise, a safe refuge there after he had been excommunicated from the Church. His stay at the castle was lonely and full of temptation and Luther devoted his time there to study and prayer. Wartburg was, for him, an important location for his development where he wrote several of his most important works, such as his translation of the New Testament.
The name of our school shows a connection with the Reformation. The school offers developing young adults a place of protection and safety in a society that is largely estranged from God. At the same time, they are formed and equipped, from the Word of God. There are four locations, which have formed the whole of Wartburg College since 1997.
Guido de Brès
Guido de Brès (1522-1567), itinerant preacher, drafted the Belgic Confession and cast it over the wall of Doornik Castle, the residence of Margaret, Duchess of Parma. De Brès wanted to assure the Spanish government that the ‘new learning’ would not turn into rebellion. On account of his convictions, he was executed. Shortly before his death, he courageously testified to the pure truth of the Word of God. In 1970, the school Guido de Brès began as a school community from the necessity of an education based in Writing and Confession.
Philips of Marnix, lord of St. Aldegonde (1540-1598) descended from a line of French magistrates. He is especially known as a politician, advisor of William of Orange and writer of the Dutch national Anthem, “Wilhelmus van Oranje”. He was also a theologian, literary, and pedagogue. During the 80-Year War, he was a most prominent man. For year, he worked on his metrical Psalms and he worked as a translator of the Bible. In July of 1572, Marnix came to Dordrecht, where he attended one of the most important synods in the history of the Netherlands as a representative of the Prince. His life’s motto was “repos ailleurs”, which means “Rest Elsewhere”. From this we can see his dedication to his earthly calling and his expectation in eternal life. Our location, The Marnix, is a continuation of the Ds. Balthasar Lydius Mavo which, in 1961, began as a school for vocational education in Dordrecht. In 2002, the department of Practical Education within this school was added to Wartburg College. Previously, this department was a part of De Wijngaard in Barendrecht.
Jacobus Revius (1586-1658) was a preacher, history, and poet. He provided an important contribution to the Statenvertaling, the Dutch translation of the Bible, and published the “Over-Ysselsche Sangen en Dichten”, still read today in the Netherlands. He was also the regent of the State college in Leiden, where he helped educate boys and helped them with their studies. Revius was often described as ‘an armored warrior for God and His Holy Word’. The Wartburg College location, the Revius began as an annex of Guido de Brès in 1979 and became an independent school in 1981.
Poet, writer, translator and school master Johannes de Swaef (1594-1653) wrote De Geestelycke Queeckerije. The Calvinist-Pietistic writing is the first known educational handbook for parents. Reformed parents have, as is emphasized by De Swaef, promised to raise their children in a Godly way during the baptism of their child. Our school, De Swaef, is the result of a merger in 1993 between the Ds. Balthasar Lydius Mavo and Plancius College.